Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Art of Laundry

I am a child of the modern age. And as such there are many things I have never had to do. I did not realize how much I did not know how to do.
I had always heard tell of the ancient techniques of drying things. I do remember a time when drying the dishes meant that you took a dish towel and wiped the water off. But one technique I have never had to use is the art of 'hanging things out to dry'. I have never seen a clothes line, I have only seen and held a clothes pin for bizarre art projects, and I never experienced joy in wind power. Those things have not changed.
What happened is, my roommate had left her clothes in the wash, and I really needed to do laundry. REALLY needed to do laundry. I put her clothes in the dryer for her and started it, knowing she was busy and wouldn't be home until very late. Then I put my clothes in the washer and started the cycle. There wasn't any problem with this part of the experience. It was when both machines were finished that the confusion began.
I waited for the clothes in both loads to finish, and then stood in front of the laundry room for awhile. I have been known to fold my roommates clothes and leave them on the dryer for them, but I didn't feel like being that nice. I also didn't feel mean or grumpy enough to just dump them on the table or dryer unfolded in a heap. So I got this brilliant idea to take the clothes I needed for the next day and just let them air dry. Turned out to be not the most brilliant idea.
The shirts were easy, I hung them on hangers and let them hang from my bed. It got more difficult for socks and under things. I used hangers for them too, often having to fold something in half over the hanger. Wet clothes hung from every where, and every thing in my room. I climbed into bed feeling confident at my solution to my clothes drying problem.
In the morning things went wrong.
The clothes left in folds on the hangers were still damp in places. And the wonderfully just laundered feeling and freshness I know, I found is a machine-made comfort, and a hideous lie in old movies. Towels do not dry soft and fluffy without a dryer. Shirts end up stiff and rough and I have never hated wearing socks more until I put on these stiff sleeves for my feet. My clothing was uncomfortable! I could hardly stand to wear them.
With a little wear they got a little better. But now I know that a dryer is one of the best inventions and is god-sent.
There was only one thing to do. I took the rest of my clothes off the hangers I had used to dry them, looked at the folds and wrinkles pressed in them, and took them back to the wash, giving them the proper pampering through the dryer that they and I both deserve.
What other modern convenience do we take for granted? And could we be happy and comfortable with out them?
Sounds like it is time for an experiment. What should I explore?

3 comments:

  1. Your fatal error was when you decided to hang them up inside. the sun really helps to dry things. also an iron is nice afterwards as hang drying does not leave clothes without wrinkles. Other marvels of modern technology that I have learned that we take for granted are a)the washing machine, b) dishwasher, c) water heater, and d) indoor plumbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another (potential) mistake... do you use fabric softener in the washer? You absolutely need to when hanging laundry to dry. We all forget that those magic little sheets we stick in the dryer take care of that for us. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did use fabric softener. A liquid fabric softener that goes in the washing machine. So I don't know what happened. It really is some sort of magic that happens in the dryer.
    And Kelsey, its true that all those things are great. I'm so happy to have them. ^.^

    ReplyDelete